Friday, August 16, 2024

Prince Christian Sound Greenland and Dining Room Food


We are not scheduled to get to Prince Christian Sound until noonish.  



I have my Pier 21 Ellis Island talk scheduled.  I am at 9 am today with Dr, Paxton right after me.  I like how they alter our start times.  Sometimes he is earlier and he draws in the crowds for both and sometimes I am earlier and draw in the crowds.  

We gained an hour last night and the theater is packed minus those site blocking seats.  Lots of guests had questions and comments afterwards.  

I stayed for Dr. Paxton's talk about climate change.  Very interesting and informative but sad, however eye opening.

At 11 the Captain sails us towards a massive iceberg!  50 M high.  Bigger than our ship!  So cool as it looks like a castle.




The buffet is packed so I opt for the dining room.  I am by myself and I join a larger table.  The company was very nice and interesting.  Sadly the meal was not.  First we were given a sheet of paper with the menu.  Minimal choices I thought.  Still I was able to choose something.  

I started with a bowl of corn and lobster soup.  This must be the 4th time I have seen a corn soup on the menu offerings.  It was okay. 

For my main I had a pasta and cheese dish.  Again it was okay.  It was obviously reheated or sat under lights for a long time.  This must be a common thing as the plates are so hot 🔥 that you don't dare touch them.  A sure sign they have been sitting under hot lights.  

I had ordered dessert when I placed my order but I wasn't wanting it now so I bid adew and was anxious to get outside.

I dressed in layers with a hat and gloves.  A hood from my wind breaker was also handy.  







The day is perfect, sunny!  And warm considering where we are.  I am astounded how similar it all looks to Tierra Del Fuego in Chile.  Polar opposites but so similar.  

My eyes take it all in.  Everywhere I look there is beauty.







These huge mountains, the glaciers that formed the ridges many many moons ago.  Creating deep strips away and smoothing areas in the rock.  

We head towards the two glaciers and it really puts things into perspective, doesn't it.   

Kimberly is doing an amazing job with live commentary.  I love her style that I feel is similar to mine.

Also what surprises me is how many guests are not out on the promenade.  It is dead quiet.  Way different on princess where you can barely get close to a railing.  




Now I know they have the bow open and lots of activities and offerings up on the Lido too so maybe they are there.  But I will take this special moment for myself.


I did walk thru the ship just before we got to the glacier and was surprised how the games room were FULL with people playing cards, Mah Jong and bridge.  Oh well it is their vacation too.  

After 3 hours on my feet outside I head to the cabin where Bernie is watching the nature show from the huge window, over the Life boat.  He then dresses and goes outside and I take up his position.

For the evening we had no plans.  There is a Santana Tribute in the theater tonight by one of the bands.  Not really interested.

So we decide to dress for dinner (which I must say is one of the most casually dressed cruises I have ever been on, including a cruise on Carnival).  Again this may be a sign of the times, or it is just such a long cruise guest are not interested in dressing up.  But it is very casual. 

We are sat with two other couples and from the window we pass iceberg after iceberg.  So cool.  Oh and we have seen a few whales but not today.

For dinner I start with the French onion soup, felt I needed to try it out.  It was hot and very flavourful but minimal cheese on top.  And the layer of oil on the top was disgusting.  I tried laddeling it out (like you do when you make gravy) but gave up as there was just too much.  After two spoonfuls I am done.  So disappointing.  Bernie said that the last time he had onion soup it was the same.

Bernie ordered the escargot, one of our favorites on Princess.  It arrives and it had a hard crust on the bernaise sauce.  So obviously dried out from sitting under heat lamps.  It is prepared diffently than Princess.  Not much garlic and the berniase sauce.  Bernie had 2 snails and I tried one and he too pushed it away.  Others who ordered it also found it not well prepared.

I ordered the barbecued Salmon bowl  this is the third time I have tried their nightly salmon bowl themed items.  Mine was well cooked and I really enjoyed it.  However Bernie's was totally undercooked which you could visibly see. 

Not once did the waiter ask how things were, nor did he ask how the dish was when we clearly had not eaten any of it, like my appetizer soup.

We had a nice dessert and left.  Tonight's dinner was a miss.  Although we have had many hits.  So far it is good food.  Not great!  Not bad!  Heck I didn't have to cook it or clean up afterwards.  But I am not experiencing what others have said when they rave about the food here.  But it is subjective - however hard crusts on foods, oil layers, and undercooked are not subjective.

After dinner we start to wander.  We end up upstairs at the Crow's Nest where we run into friends.  We end up chatting with them until 1030 when they suggest the late night snack buffet.  Oh.... something we haven't been to.  

It is a small section of the buffet with late night snacks and finger foods.  Not something I usually partake in but for the purpose of research, twist my arm.

I had some barley salad which is very good, but (5th time I have had it in the buffet in the 8 days we have been on board) and some breaded and fried mushrooms. 

At midnight we are back in the cabin.  The latest we have been out.  We change and go up to check out the northern lights which are just starting.  Later on, while we were sleeping it got even more spectacular. Here is a pic I got from a friend.





No comments:

Post a Comment