Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Halifax




We arrive into Halifax at 9 am and boy is it ever a full house here!  Four ships -- us, a Silversea ship, and Aida ship and our sister the Regal Princess.  But because of this crowding we are relegated to a berth further away (I believe it is pier 31).  This is part of an industrial area and a shuttle bus is required to take us to the main port area where the other three ships are.

Today I quickly get ready as I am heading off on my own at first to meet up with Janice David a friend I first met on my page when we did our first Canada New England Cruise.  Since then our friendship has solidified and we have met up with her and her husband Jim a few times and we certainly keep in touch on line.



We meet at a really cute coffee shop close to the ship called the Wired Monk.  The time flies by as we catch up and talk about a lot - but mainly travel and cruising.  A like minded addicted cruise soul!



We walk back together to the pier where I meet up with Bernie and as I am standing there I see a familiar face.  Well a familiar face to me, but he doesn't really know me.  Eric Ripper - John Ripper's son.  I know John through my page as well and we have talked on line for a long time (another travel addict - see a theme).  

I think Eric was in shock that I recognized him but when I told him who I was and he definitely knows my cruise page.  I filled him in that we were the couple that your parents knew on the Royal when they went to see him (as he was suppose to be on the Royal but got shipped to another ship).



Bernie and I then headed off in search of a Thai Restaurant we had heard about.  You see in Cape Breton it is not that easy to get different ethnic restaurants - the population base just does not warrant it.  So we take off inland (about a half hour walk) to the restaurant and boy was it ever good.  Nothing fancy but it hit the spot.




With tummies filled we wander back to the boardwalk and I am back taking a lot of pictures.  I am hoping to get a contract next season for port lecturing for Canada New England and so I busy taking pictures that would be needed for my presentations from a cruise passengers interest.




My real goal today was to get to Pier 21 to go through it again as it is one of my favorite museums.  It is the gateway to Canada where immigrants arriving by ship went through.  Basically Canada's version of the US Ellis Island.  The museum is right beside the port.  In fact you can walk right through the shops at the pier to the end and the museum is right there.




But I was so tired!  I got maybe three hours sleep last night and I knew I needed to have a nap.  So once back on board I crawled into bed and banished Bernie from the cabin (are we the only couple that does that?) as it is not big enough for him to be in and be quiet and for me to get some much needed sleep.  I sometimes wonder how crew do it, especially if they are on different schedules.

After a two hour nap we both get ready for the evening activities.  It starts with the Captain Circle Party (note there will be 3 parties this voyage).  

It was nice to enjoy a drink and see some friends.  There was someone recognized for their 500th day Milestone.  None of the top three were in attendance at this party.  And what I thought was odd was that they did not even mention the top three and their days so I can not report on that.  I know that we are number 6 and 7 most travelled passengers (I am the 6th as I have one extra cruise than Bernie).  

After the party we head down to Explorers where I enjoy one of my new favorite drinks the Aviation made by Johanthan from Peru who was on her last Summer.

Dinner was very yummy tasting and we finished off our wine.  Again no supervisor came around to the tables in our section.  I know we saw others walking around nearby sections but none to ours.  Our waiters seem off their game tonight.  Their section is full and unfortunately is has meant that so has the service.  Last night was phenominal but tonight we ended up leaving the table before even our dinner plates were cleared as we were tired of sitting and didn't want dessert.

Explorer's Lounge is hosting 70s night and we dance up a storm, so much so we need to cool off with a cocktail.  We love the Explorer's bar and wish the newer ships had it.  It is big enough to accommodate a lot of people and the bar is large and then throw in music, dancing or a game show and it is perfect for us.

We attended the show called Comedy Magic of Naathan Phan in the Princess theater.  Again the show was packed.  

Naathan was very very good.  Great singer, quite funny and his magic blew us away.

DuVal the Cruise Director came out at the end to thank everyone and he did announce that they know about the crowding issue in the show and they have listened and they are now going to have three shows whenever they can.  But even better they will not be the shortened versions but the full show but the three shows will be over two nights!  Yeah!  Great work you guys - big should out to Entertainment Director too.

Oh I forgot to mention that the Captain did come on to announce that we would be leaving Halifax late because of the traffic which also meant they couldn't get a pilot at the time we needed so we are leaving an hour late.  This will then mean we may be late tomorrow into St. John.  But he hopes to make up time.

No comments:

Post a Comment