Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Saint John, New Brunswick



Happy to report that the Captain put the peddle to the metal and we arrived on time into Saint John.  However there was some issue with docking that delayed us and I saw why when I finally got up and saw where we were docked.  We are docked at a pier I have never seen them use (well I know they use it, but I have never docked here).  So I am sure it took a bit more time to secure the ship and to put out the gangways.

Actually glad we are at this spot as there is Anthem of the Seas and the Regal at the "regular" piers and those are large ships with a lot more people.  And when we did finally head along Water Street where the throngs of passengers were heading into town it was like us being salmon swimming up stream.  




With three ships in town this town is inundated with people.  I think the population doubled for the city!

Now we have been here numerous times and even stopped here on our drive across the country so we had no set plans today.  I knew I had to go off and get some pictures.

We also arranged to meet up with Paula who is sailing on the Regal currently.  It was nice to catch up with her as it has been a few years since we met and sailed together.  

After lunch we did go to many of the sites in the downtown area to snap some pictures.  I especially love the market here and if you want a lobster roll I would head here. Although it is less expensive, it is not ideal if you want to sit down and enjoy it.  You may want to find a sit down restaurant for that.  There are some great restaurants all around town.  Go one or two streets uphill from the water to find a better, less crowded spot.

We made the mistake of hitting a spot that I thought would be good but ended up being very poor.  Sadly they had only one person working the entire spot.  She was hostess, server, bus person and cashier and needless to say it meant poor service and the food was not all that great.  So I will not be mentioning it here as I can not recommend it.

The day's weather is outstanding and the colours are not too bad.  They seem to be a little behind Cape Breton Nova Scotia (which was at it's peak about ten days ago).  Glad that guests are getting to see the colours.



After logging 1400 steps we are back on board.  But not after we had a long queue to get back on board.  It did end up moving relatively quickly - maybe 10 minutes.  Here they are asking for picture id to match your medallion at security on land (not ship).  Then the ship's crew are double checking that you are in fact with Caribbean Princess and not Regal Princess. 

Once back on board we feel a nap coming on and we fall asleep quite quickly. 


wedge salad

This evening our friends Barb and Craig suggest Planks.  We love Planks and are quick to agree.  For the nominal fee of $12 it is a great deal and the food is very good.  Also because we have a late departure from Saint John we have a lovely view too.



key lime pie - which is off the steamers menu but you can get if at Planks

Oh I tried to order a drink thru the app tonight.  Remember everyone you get a free drink at first to try out the app.  So I thought I would try it out.  

I was up right beside the Calypso Bar right at Mutts.  I was literally sitting on the stool at the bar.  I opened the app and clicked on order a drink and my location showed me at Tradewinds bar.  I corrected it and stated Calypso Bar and chose my drink.  The bartender asked if I wanted a drink and I informed him I had ordered one thru the app.  

But he did not have the order.  And nothing seemed to be happening with the drink I had ordered as you can actually see the progress.  So thankfully I was able to cancel the order and I ordered it again and this time it went thru.  

But it is another strike for the App.  Again this new app appears to have some glitches.  

I did go visit the Medallion hosts and they agreed that there are issues and asked me to make sure the app was updated (which it is).  That is all that can be done.  But still can not see excursion, order future cruise deposits, play games with app as screen comes up blank with a notice to see help desk.  I know others have the same problem and others have not issue - and it appears to not be because of the type of phone as I met someone today with an Android phone that has not problems at all.

So I just go to my browser and access it the old way.

Miscellaneous things:

- The demographics of this voyage seems to be around our age.  Mostly people still working, but a lot of retired too.  A good mix.  Lots of Canadians too.  Not many kids (not surprised) but there is a nice family from Britain with two daughters that we keep running into.  The kids are on break right now.
- We were told on embarkation that laundry could take up to 72 hours but we have put two bags in and both have come back after 48 hours.  We are kind of use to this now as almost every cruise has so many elites that it never is 24 hour turnaround anymore.
- Bernie had no luck getting a firmer pillow so today we went out to Giant Tiger store and bought a cheap pillow that will work fine ($10) and our steward put a pillow case on it and we will just leave it when we leave.
- Love WorldFresh Marketplace (Horizon Court) on this class of ship.  If I can't have the huge buffet layout of the Royal Class this is the next best thing.  So much better than what we experienced on the Star.  Lots of options and love that the outer area of the buffet is easily accessible with desserts, sandwiches etc.  In the morning they serve these great fresh juices.

No comments:

Post a Comment