Sunday, October 27, 2019

First Sea Day




As you already know I was awake very early and enjoyed some time on deck 5 with my latte and was able to write my blog posts.

I was sitting at the edge of the IC where Vines begins but found it difficult to concentrate (yes I am one of those people that needs to focus to write and conflicting noises or distractions throw me off).  The canned music from the IC was great but just a few feet away Vines was playing some different canned music.

Okay so I got up and went to sit along the window in the coffee bar area, which is called the Good Spirits Bar.  This is a newly branded bar that offers an experience and interaction with guest with featured drinks.  It is a cool event and is offered for usually two hour periods later in the day.

However it is 6 am and the two tv screens are showing the Good Spirits show and the volume is on and it is interesting to watch but very distracting.  Then you also have the canned music from the Atrium to hear as well.


Personally I would like to hear only one thing and I think hearing the canned music would be more appropriate.  The show can be played later in the day, or with subtitles or just when they have the Good Spirts Bar running.   Again just my opinion.

The staff were very friendly and eager to make sure whatever I needed was met.

I did end up going up to the World Fresh Market Place - now that is a lot to type - for breakfast. I was there early and headed to the omelet station (where Planks is at night) and put what I wanted in my omelet in a cup and handed it over to the cook and given a handheld pager that would identify when my eggs were ready.


It took no time at all (again it was very quiet) and the omelet was ready.  It was huge, I am guessing it was a three egg omelet and should of aksed for a smaller one.  I have learned and will do that next time.



It is the last sailing of Canada New England of the season and it is cold.  6C and windy.   You really need to dress for the occasion. Think Alaska cruise clothes. I suggest layers because once you are on shore you don't need all the clothes but when you are on the seas that wind is harsh.

I do end up walking the Promenade Deck for quite a while and looked for whales.  Others had commented that they had seen some so I was trying to spot one too.  No luck.

I am also enjoying the scenery.  To the port side is North side of the St. Lawrence and it is an area that is quite barren but I have never been to, although like a friend mentioned after seeing so many pine trees you have seen enough - good point Linda.

The South side of the St. Lawrence is the Gaspe region and I really want to explore this area and know that we could easily do a road trip here some time soon.  It is about a ten hour drive from our home.  As I stare out at the area is lovely to see the smaller mountains with a dusting of snow on the top.

We enjoyed lunch in the dining room (they also had a pub lunch happening today too).  We joined another couple for lunch and really enjoyed the food and the company.

Bernie did attend the trivia and joined a team of friends only to find out they are all from Coquitlam BC where we use to live.  Small world!

Since it is quite cold outside, everyone is inside.  It is hard to even find a seat anywhere!  I did take up residence in Club Fusion at the back while Michelle hosted Meringue dance class but once the bingo got underway I had to flee because I was mobbed and I knew they needed the table a lot more than I did.

There is a speedy Sudoku happening in Wheelhouse but when I head there it is so busy, and not by those playing the game but with people reading, playing cards, chatting etc.  So I just decide to leave.

I wander through the Bijoux sale too, just to say I did, but it is the same old same old and I do not buy anything.

Bernie is napping so I am leaving the cabin to him.  I head up to the top deck and sit at the Mix bar and chat with Rocky the bartender that we first met on the Crown back in 2015.  He still makes the best Cosmos.  He introduced me to a couple at the bar and we chatted for awhile about our love of cruising.


I want to touch base a bit on the Medallion.  This is now our 7th cruise with Medallion.  Last summer it was here on the Caribbean but it was just being rolled out.  Then early this year on the Royal it was rolled out and was in full operation by the time we disembarked in May.  But I was quite excited to see how it was now with the new App and having been in operation on here for over a year.

Right now I am very disappointed in the entire system.  f  And trust me it is with a very heavy heart that I am saying this.  But so far it seems worse than it every has been.

Tonight is a formal night, but we are not dressing up.  But we do head down to Vines to enjoy the Captain's speech.  Oh we did run into the Captain a few times today and he remembered us from last year and we were able to catch up with him.  Juan and Victor, he says hi.




Wheelhouse is a great spot for a drink and the music is nice too.  We meet up with Luis here after his shift and then decide to head to Planks for supper.

Planks is a barbecue joint and the cost is $12 per person.  Wonderful meal and well worth it.  They also have some unique drinks here too so make sure you check it out.

I do not think the waiter was very happy that we showed up fifteen minutes before they were scheduled to close at 9:00.  But the service was quite good.



By the time we are finished dinner it is 10 pm and we see that David Moore the Crooners player is doing a show in Explorers.  OMG we have not seen him since forever.  Boy has he been with Princess a long time.  I think the first time we ever met him was on the Dawn Princess around 20 years ago!  He made us laugh then and he still makes us laugh now.  He will normally be performing in Crooners nightly.

It was a lovely day, and very relaxing and trust me we will need it as we have a lot of port days in a row now.



No comments:

Post a Comment