When planning for 2017 we knew our vacation choice at work was not going to be a good one and we would have to focus on time in January/February. Not to worry we don't mind that time of year as we always go away then.
We have a few reasons for wanting to head back.
- I really want to visit many of the ports again for more research. My goal is to write more port information and look at port lecturing for South America after I retire. This trip would focus on us looking at the ports on a very practical level for this purpose.
- We have some friends in Santiago we would really like to spend more time with. Not to mention we have never been to Santiago and want to spend some time there.
- Bernie has always dreamed of going to Machu Picchu and we are hoping to head to Lima and then Cusco prior to the cruise.
- Also Lima is an amazing city I want to explore more
Usually we like to go to the Caribbean in January for some R & R but this coming year the prices are just way too high and with the exchange rate still sitting at about $1.30 Canadian for one US dollar we have to be conscious of the cruise cost.
This year we have really focussed on looking for deals. This means not booking most trips far ahead of time like we have. We can't risk the price not dropping.
Normally South America itineraries are high at first but can come down closer to the date. Note cruises that are part of the repositioning of the ship - like our 49 day Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles rarely drop by much. But the 14 days between Buenos Aries and Santiago often goes down.
Since we are not too concerned about cabin location - other than not wanting to be in the aft section due to vibration on the Crown - we can wait.
So far the price has gone down $400 each. We are still watching and hope to book in October. This is risky and a gamble that you have to be prepared to do.
Of course we won't have a great selection of cabins. We will probably not be able to get the same cabin for both legs (but we will manage). But it is a risk we are willing to take.
The great things about this itinerary are:
- It leaves from Valparaiso on Bernie's Birthday
- It visits Puerto Montt again (have only been there once)
- It has two nights/three days in Buenos Aries
- It visits Puerto Madryn twice - have never been here but it is a common stop
- Lastly it stops once in Punta Del Este in Uruguay - have not been here either
So stay tuned to see what happens.
We do have a back up if this trip doesn't work out but we hope we don't have to fall for the back up. Time will tell.