Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Tried to Get to Appian Way - Toured Around Instead



We are up earlier today!  Yeah!

A quick breakfast, shower and we are out of here.  Oh happy Halloween Everyone.  Although I see some signs of Halloween around Rome it is not like it is in North America.  But it also was Bernie Dad's Birthday.  



So our first stop was Santa Maria in Trastevere Church.  We have been here before and wanted to stop in again. It is so quiet this time.  We sit and reflect and light some candles for our family, but especially in honour of Bernie Senior.  I know he is watching us and is very proud of us.

Next stop - you guessed it -- espresso.  Oh my I love how easy it is to get a shot here and how inexpensive it is.  Takes no time and we are off for our next adventure.

There are a few spots we want to visit that we never got to on previous trips and the first one is Appia Antica or Appian Way.

Google Maps provides detailed information on bus routes and that is how we get there.  Don't forget to buy your transit ticket from a kiosk or tobacco stand prior to board.  Buses don't sell tickets here.  Also buy a return ticket.  



We bought four tickets at 1.50 E each.  When you get on the bus make sure to validate your ticket.  It provides 90 minutes of travel.

Bus 118 takes you right to the start of Appian Way.  

When we get off we are a little confused.  Not sure where to go.  Finally after a bit of wandering we figured it out.  But darn it is closed.  How can it be closed.  

Well apparently there were quite a few trees that toppled over.  Lots of branches that are down and a bit of flooding that caused a mess from the storms on Sunday and Monday.

Darn...  

So back out to the street to catch the bus going back.  Thankfully it is not too far out of the city center.


We get off to see the Mouth of Truth.  Do you remember that scene in Roman Holiday?  Well I do...  

It is free to visit, and the line is not that long, but I am guessing it is at least a half hour to wait and I don't feel like waiting just to get a picture with my hand in the mouth.  You can take pictures from the side of it and that is just what I did.



Back on a bus to the Victor Emanuelle Monument.  We decided to head back to a restaurant we fell in love with the last time we were here.  

See all the added security

La Cabana is within walking distance of the monument and a lot of locals come here.




We enjoy an amazing meal and walk away stuffed.  I can get use to having the big meal mid day.  Two days in a row and I am enjoying it.


From here we have more exploring to do.


We walk to the Trevi Fountain - man what a zoo.  Always is.  I quickly take a picture and leave.  I really do not like these high tourist spots but feel it is necessary to visit.



Also watch out for the pick pockets at places like this.  Tons of people, shoulder to shoulder with little place to move.

Oh I want to add that the last time we were in Rome all those selfie sticks were a nuisance.  I am happy to report that I see fewer and fewer of them now.  Now I find people walking while staring at their phones a nuisance.  But this happens everywhere and I have to have some kind of gripe.  Do people on their phones bother you?  Or is it just me?  Stop and move over people if you need to check your phone, not in the middle of the sidewalk.  Okay I will get off my soapbox.



Next stop the Pantheon.  The crowds are minimal and it is nice to find a quiet spot to really enjoy the church and it's beauty.  I had heard that they were looking at charging a minimal entrance fee.  I am happy to say that no they are still not charging - not sure how they can as churches are suppose to be free.  But also remember you need to dress appropriately, no hats, no shorts, no talking on the phone etc.




Off to Piazza Navona.  Again it is quieter here that on past visits.  






Campo de Fiori is a miss for us.  It is a touristy area that sells mainly to tourist only.  I would rather visit a local market than this square.  But it is quite interesting to watch the people. 

We cross the Tiber and get some sundry items for the apartment.  Soap, cereal, milk, wine, sparkling water and a chocolate bar (priorities).  

Back at the apartment for 4 pm and we will relax here until later tonight when we will go out for our evening stroll and maybe a small bite to eat.  Oh and I feel gelato may be in the plans too.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment