Thursday, October 25, 2018

Flying Out Today


So .... we are flying out today.  I feel a little odd.  Not my normal self.  Normally I am really excited. Normally I can't sleep the night prior.  Normally I am so ready I sit impatiently for a few hours till it is time to leave.  

Today I feel nothing close to normal.  

Why?  Well I am trying to figure that out.

Could be:
  • When I was working I was so looking forward to time away from work.  Time to relax.  Now I am retired and my life is darn good so no need to get away (but I still want to).
  • We now own a lovely home and I am so enjoying living here and being close to family that it is hard to leave.
  • I am so engrossed in my port lectures for South America that I am preparing, that I really haven't had time to think about this trip.  In fact I have designated a lot of the research to Bernie, which if anyone knows me is not a normal thing for me to give up control.
  • Maybe we have been on too many cruises (give your head a shake Vickie - no such thing) that they are no longer "special".  

But truthfully:
  • It is getting cooler here in Cape Breton and a month away will be a nice treat.
  • I am excited to spend quality time with my husband away from the day to day distractions.
  • I have half of the port lectures for South America written, researched, and photos ready to drop into Power Point presentations. I plan to spend the sea days preparing the presentations.  
  • We will be seeing quite a few cruise friends on board.  Some we haven't seen for a long time, some we have seen recently.
  • I am looking forward to seeing London again.  This time for a few days and the chance to spend some time with Michael and his family.
  • Of course Rome is always a highlight and I am surprised because we have nothing officially planned for Rome.  We have visited all the major sites, and some we would like to see again. However, this trip we plan to go with the flow and see what we feel like doing.  We are fortunate because we are later in the season it is easier to do things last minute.  We also want to travel a bit further out and explore some of the outskirts of Rome.
  • We have a family member living in the house till next Spring so we know the house is in good hands.

We fly out (with Westjet) of Halifax airport tonight and arrive in London at 8 am.  Wow a flight to London that is direct and under 6 hours!  And only a four hour time change.  Another perk of living on the East Coast.  

We splurged and upgraded our seats to Comfort Plus in the hopes that we may get a bit of sleep - but knowing me I won't.  

We have arranged for early check in at our hotel in London where we hope to have a bit of a rest then shower and head out to meet friends late afternoon.  

I am going to try and blog this voyage but it will have to take a back seat to my working on the presentations each day.  So please be patient.  But I know you all are!

Our current itinerary is:
  • tonight fly to London
  • London Friday to Monday the 29th
  • Fly to Rome on the 29th
  • Hang in Rome for five nights
  • Train to Civitavecchia Nov 3 and board the Crown Princess.
  • Nov 3 - 17 Trans Atlantic Cruise
  • Nov 17 - 27 Caribbean Cruise
  • Nov 27 fly home
Okay I can feel a bit of excitement coming on!

No comments:

Post a Comment