Sunday, October 28, 2018

Sunday in London


For some reason I am having trouble sleeping, or more exact, getting rid of this jet lag.

I did not actually sleep until 3 am.  So when I woke up at 10 I was really annoyed.  But I have to take my own advice "let things happen the way they are suppose to".  


Bernie was up very early (but he fell asleep around midnight) and has been reading for the past few hours.


I get moving and we are up and dressed and downstairs for breakfast to get the day going.





We get on the tube and head to Leicester Square as per the great advice from fans on my facebook page.  Our goal is to get some tickets for a play this afternoon.




You have to make sure you get tickets from the authentic ticket booth in the square. There are many booths that do sell tickets but they don't always have the real discounted price and not as big a selection.  Here is their website.


We bought tickets for The Comedy About a Bank Robbery. 




But the show is not until 3 pm and we have a few hours till it starts.




We wander around the square.  Check out the Lego square and Big Ben made of Lego blocks.




Thought of my sister here



Walk thru China Town. Loved the names of the stores/restaurants.




So cool to be at Piccadilly Square - feels like Times Square.  Lots of people, shops, electric signs. Kind of sad that a huge billboard is put up over a stunning facade of a building.




The shops along Regent Street are very nice but neither of us are really shoppers. But I did want to stop in at Crabtree and Evelyn but the store that Google says is here is not.  Closed permanently I guess.




The next nearest location is Covent Gardens so we head there.  Of course when we arrive we immediately recognize that this is the place we came the last time we were in London.  



Live street performers are all over and we watch two guys perform - too funny.  But damn it is cold!   And there is a large cloud overhead.  It soon opens up and the rain comes down.  But it passes quickly as we take cover in the market.


Oh and I did get to buy my favorite La Source lotion at Crabtree and Evelyn.





The show starts at 3 pm and it is a beautiful venue.  We have good seats but unfortunately the seats are not offset enough so you have to constantly sway side to side to see the stage. 


We laughed our heads off.  Lots of physical humor too.  But it could of been done a half hour earlier, it seemed to go on for a long time.  We are glad we did it though and both commented that if we spend more time here we would definitely see a lot more shows.



We walk up to Oxford Circus to catch the Central line back to Stratford. 


For supper we head to a Thai restaurant at Stratford Shopping Center called Busaba Westfield.  I wish I could say it was great, but it was not, it was just okay.  Service was really lacking.  We had to keep calling someone over for service.  Then our starters came with our entrees.  The rice was ice cold.  The other dishes were good though.  Really enjoyed the pot stickers, and phad thai.  The bill included a 15% service charge that we actually told them to remove - they did - and we tipped accordingly.  Being Canadian I felt bad about that, but it was justified to us.


A short walk back to the hotel and we hope to have a restful night tonight.


We really loved London.  Wish we could be here a few more days.  But we know we will be back.  I especially loved the diversity of the people, the languages, the cultures. The architecture, the history, the gardens, the monuments, and the parks were all highlights.  


I found it very easy to get around with the Metro.  There were lots of taxis and Uber is an option - but we did not use either. We walked a lot.  Yesterday we walked over 17,000 steps, today 12,000 steps.


I won't miss the traffic, the crowds on the sidewalks. I am really over everyone on their cell phones while walking, and all over the noise.  But I have a feeling it is just the beginning.


Tomorrow we are off to Rome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment