Saturday, June 16, 2018

Day 33 - Hungover and Drummondville Bound - Hello Family


Oh my.... could of been the tequila, could of been the wine, could of been the champagne, all I know is I have a headache.

When I wake at 7 I have a headache! I grab some Tylenol, we throw in a load of wash and tell Bernie (who is also awake) that I am going back to bed.  Heck I have only had six hours sleep.   

When I wake a few hours later I feel much better and I feel rested.  Oh and I feel very excited!  I can not wait to get to Drummondville and see all my family.

For those of you who follow and are not aware, I grew up in Drummondville in the 70s and early 80s.  My mother is from here, and her family (she comes from a family of 10) pretty much all still live here.  Most of my cousins and second cousins live close by too.

It was a lovely place to grow up.  My aunts and uncles are like second parents to me and trust me I so appreciated it then and now.  

Since my mother's passing I have known that they are here and would always have my back if I ever needed it.  

We left Quebec in 82 to move to Vancouver.  I attended college and then found work and the rest is history.   But I still consider Drummondville the place that I am from.  Odd since I did not really live there that long in the grande scheme of things.  

So around 11 we pack up the car, say goodbye to our great Airbnb in the Old City and get going.



Today is a very short drive!  Which is probably good since Bernie did not have a nap he is in need of one soon.





I plan a first stop at Fromagerie Lemaire to pick up some fresh cheese curds.  Yup you read it right!  This area of Quebec is known for their cheese, especially their cheese curds.  You know the ones they put on Poutines - fries, cheese and gravy.  Did you know that the Poutine originated in Drummondville - Yup - a proud heritage and maybe should become a heritage minute commercial! 

Anyways the cheese here is freshly made and you buy it and it is bagged right in front of you.  The cheese is so fresh it squeaks!  

We arrive in Drummondville and Bernie says to me "how do you feel right now?"  Oh good question, I am so excited, so happy, a little nervous and feel so much love.  How lucky am I?

Today is market day in Drummondville so we head there and buy some fresh vegetables and fruits (oh the strawberries are so good).  We are looking for the donuts in syrup.  But there does not seem to be any.  Yes donuts in syrup - fresh made plain donuts dipped in pure maple syrup.  Getting them hot and fresh is key.  Thank goodness I do not live here I would be HUGE.




We check into our Airbnb which is an entire apartment with two bedrooms.  So cute and great location.  Check out the place here.  Remember if you want to try out an Airbnb in the future just sign up by using this link and on your first stay you will get a discount.  







Bernie needs a rest so I leave and get groceries and return and unpack and get settled.  Once Bernie wakes we are off to my Aunt Liette's home and to see her and my aunt Nicole.  Oh those hugs and kisses were so sweet.  I sure did miss my family.

We only visit for 2 hours as we have plans tonight with my cousins Stephanie, Sophie and her partner Pierrick.  

Drinks at Sophie and Pierrick's place first and my Aunt Diane is babysitting so I get to give her a big hug and kiss too.  Aude and Victor (the kids) are growing like weeds and their English is improving too.  Adorable and I can't wait to spend more time with them.



Both cousins are younger than me and I remember the day they were born but as adults it is so wonderful spending time with them and of course seeing their beautiful children.




We dine tonight at Restaurant Capiche.  What a great spot, I don't remember Drummondville having such great eateries but times have changed.  The place is busy and we have a nice table for the five of us.

Wine, good food, family and non stop talking.  Bernie muddles thru with is English and thankfully he is patient and understands and my cousins can speak a bit in English so all is good with the world.

Back at the Airbnb we turn in for the night.  It is just after 11:30 and I feel bad I have not done my blog for two nights but I always said the blog is secondary - the experiences are first.  Thanks for your patience.


Here is our scavenger hunt list today:


  • Moose
  • Deer
  • Hitchhiker
  • Eagle/Hawk
  • Licence plates from every Province in Canada - but you can not count the province you are in.  So if we see an Alberta plate in BC then it counts, but not if we are in AlbertaBritish Columbia SaskatchewanManitobaOntarioQuebecNew Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon, and North West Territory
  • Skunk - saw a dead one
  • Sheep
  • Beaver
  • Goslings
  • Buffalo
  • Goat
  • Owl
  • Bear
  • Loon
  • Crane
  • Prairie Dog
  • Fisherman fishing
  • Canoe
  • Hummingbird
  • Antique car on the road
  • Old VW Bug
  • Car broken down on the side of the road
  • Helicopter on the ground
  • Airplane on the ground
  • Speeding ticket- hopefully not our own
  • Ambulance with sirens on
  • Dump truck
  • Line painting crew at work
  • Mail delivery person walking their route
  • Cruise Ship 
  • Coyote 
  • RCMP officer
  • Hop on Hop off Bus
  • Sea Glass
  • Lobster

If you have any items you think we should add to our scavenger hunt list, let us know.







So Today's Stats 
Driving distance today 110 k
Total distance 7488 km

No comments:

Post a Comment