Saturday, June 16, 2018

Day 32 - Final Day in Montreal and Dinner at Pigor


Oh it is really raining out!  

And both of us are tired and just want to do nothing!  But we are in Montreal!  Things to see, places to go..... 

We done our rain jackets, umbrella in hand, and hit the ground running. Well not running but walking fast.

Of course we are use to this weather -- We are from Vancouver where it rains a lot.  But today it is now misty and annoying.  You need an umbrella but you don't.  Does that make sense?

Also it seems people here just do not get rain or at least they are not use to it.  People on the sidewalk do not understand the umbrella etiquette.  When approaching someone also with an umbrella tilt your umbrella or lift it up or down so you don't hit each other.  Nope not here, people just do not seem to care.  

Traffic is almost at a stand still as the rain seems to have caused mayhem.  Certainly doesn't help that there are numerous road closures today due to events.  


Today there is a city biathlon where participants ride bikes in the city and then a relay run while they wear a tie and carry a briefcase.  

Montreal is also experiencing a boom in construction and road work.  Now this is a good thing but it does make getting around in a car (and even on foot sometimes) difficult.  I forget how in most cities in Canada they can not do road work during the winter months due to the conditions so it happens in Spring and Summer.

All I can say is we are glad we parked our car at the apartment and we are walking and taking transit.

When we get to the Metro we both feel like wet dogs.  



Today we are heading to the Atwater Market to meet up with my high school friend Estelle Arel.  I have not seen her since forever!   Right away she recognizes me and it feels like no time has passed. I am loving these reunions!

When we leave the market it is still raining and really not a great day to be touring.  We decide to head up to St.Catherine and walk around and when the rain gets heavier we duck into the mall.  

Neither of us is really into it.  Of course it does not help that we are both tired and we have been here numerous times so we don't feel the urgency to see the sites. 

So we both agree a quiet restful afternoon is what is needed.  And that is just what we did.


Tonight we are meeting up with my cousin Line for dinner at her son (Sidney's) restaurant called Pigor!  

Thankfully Montreal has Uber and we take a quick ride to the restaurant in Verdun.  

When we arrive I away spot Sidney and it so lovely to see him.  Sidney was actually born on Vancouver Island when Line and her then husband were living there for work.  I remember visiting Line when she just had Sidney and oh it is hard to believe this well accomplished Chef was once rocked in my arms.  Boy I feel old.

Sidney is a true chef who lives and breathes his job.  You can see how much he cares and the thought that goes into all the dishes is really beautiful.


Cocktails arrived and again I love a restaurant that takes the time to really consider their cocktails.  Not the usual stuff but a drink that speaks to the area, what is in season, what is right for this restaurant.  I had a Missy Vicky drink (well of course it has my name in it) which was a margarita but a margarita with Mezcale, Tequilla and jalapeno - a nice bite of spice but that is how I like it! 


pretty handsome guys!

Line and Jacques arrive and I swear the night passed in a flash.  Boy was it nice seeing her.  Line is such an inspiration.  Even as a little girl seeing my older (but not by many years) cousin being so cool and experienced inspired and drove me to be who I am too.  Line is now  a very successful business owner and I am even more proud.  Not to mention she also raised two amazing sons!  

The staff at Pigor are so kind and helpful and kept trying to speak to me in English but no I want to practice my French.  But rest assured if you only speak English they can take care of you completely. Even a menu in English.

Food here is recommended to be served family style where you order a few items and share.  Sounds good to me as we are family!

our amuse bouche

We leave the ordering up to Line and we are not disappointed.  

beef tartar

lovely tomato basil salad made with 3 types of tomatotes


Our starters start coming out - Carpaccio, Beef Tartar and a beautiful Tomato Basil salad.  



Main course was beef for two which was melt in your mouth served with sea salt and Wasabi which was gave a burst of flavor in your mouth.  


A Risotto with shrimp and spinach, so fresh and tasted like spring on a plate.



Dessert by Jerrome was a lemon pie deconstructed!  Just the presentation was a piece of art.


So if you are visiting Montreal at all make your way to Pigor and give my love to my cousin Sidney and be ready to experience an amazing meal.



Well we are full, we are drunk - lots of wine and champagne and so much love!

We Uber it back to the apartment. It is 12:30 am and we crash.  Thankfully we don't have to check out before noon.



No comments:

Post a Comment