Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Wednesday Aug 5 - National Parks and Wineries


Our goal was to get up early and get on the road by 9.  Well what do they say about best laid plans?  

At 4 am we were woken up by a spray of water.  What the F....  Bernie is closing the window and I am saying "what are you doing it is hot".  Then I realize it is down pouring!  The window is pushing a light spray of water onto us in bed.  Don't really want to close the window but we don't have a choice.  I quickly go around the place closing windows that face the storm.  The rest are fine.

The storm only last a few minutes and then I am back up opening the windows again.  It is warm and muggy, but I am glad for the rain as we needed it. 

Soon Bernie is fast asleep and I am wide awake!  I stayed up until around 7 and then fell back asleep.

Here is our routing for the day.



We are both up and making breakfast around 9.  A lovely breakfast and enjoying the stunning view of the Bay of Fundy.



We are on the road around 11.  We are heading to Port Royal National Park.  








Because of Covid the building is closed but we are free to walk around the site and we enjoy the information panels.  The site is stunning and we stop at the "iconic" National Park Red Chairs for a picture.






Next stop is Annapolis Royal.  On Wednesday there is a nice market.  We buy a few things - soap, spices, a piece of pottery.  The town is lovely!  Very quaint, very English, and not cheap!  Feels like a tourist town.  






Annapolis Royal is the site of Fort Anne.  Very historic.  The actual Officer's Barrack is closed - due to Covid but they still have the whole site open for people to walk around.  We explore and talk with a few of the park workers.  


It is very hot!  Thank Goodness there is a breeze off the water.  We pick up some iced coffees, explore the town and many of the artist studios.  But again it is pricey.

We are really not hungry yet after that big breakfast.  

I really want to try out some local wineries.





Our first stop is Bear Creek Vineyard.  Small, locally owned vineyard.  We are greeted right away and we request a tasting of some of their wines.  We end up walking out with some very reasonable priced wines - 3 to be exact.




Next stop is Casa Nova Winery.  Again it is very quiet, and it is a small locally run vineyard.  They have some wines on clearance and again they offer us a taste of any wine we wish.  We fall in love with a few and again we walk out of there with four bottles.  

By now we are getting hungry.  It is only 4:30 but the place that a friend recommended (thanks Jim) is now open.

We travel back East, closer to home, to Winemaker's Tavern and take a seat at their outdoor patio.



The server recommends a local cherry cider made by Casa Nova Winery.  Oh we were just there, yes please.  It is yummy and sorry I did not try it there as I am sure I would of bought some.  I will check out the local liquor store for them as I know I have not seen them in Cape Breton.


Our meal was amazing.  I had a grilled chicken burger that there is no way I could come close to finishing and just look at all those fries.  I left most on the plate.  But I did finish the cider.

Back at the Airbnb, we throw a load of wash in as I am not sure if we have a washer at our next place.

Bernie washes some fresh berries that he bought today and we open the bottle of Prosecco we got for our anniversary.  I am quickly writing up my blog so we can sit out on the back deck and enjoy it with him.

A piece of birthday cake and all is right with the world.

Tomorrow we check out and on to the next location.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment