Saturday, November 24, 2018

St. Kitts


I am awake early and a quick shower get me moving.  I am ready to take on the day.

Bernie heads up for breakfast and I grab a latte and my computer and I take up residence at my little table in the Wheelhouse Bar. It is quiet here on port days and I can hide out until our steward cleans the cabin.

I take the time to update my presentations for Barbados with the new pictures I got and then I continue working on my Falkland Islands presentation.  I am writing about the four different types of penguins you can find here and adding sounds/video and trying to make it FUN.

I meet up with Bernie in the cabin at 12:30 so we can go ashore.

There are a total of three ships in port today.  Us, the Carnival Fascination and a Royal Caribbean ship is off to the right. I believe it is docked at an industrial pier but I can’t confirm.  I know I did not see any tenders. 

There is a sign at the pier stating that they are building a new pier but no date listed for when it will open.  Not sure if it the pier the RCL ship is at or a new one.  The pictures looks different that what is currently there.  Maybe someone can confirm more details – and I will look into it more when I get home.

Our main goal today is to get lunch ashore.  We are needing something different than the buffet and I love the Indian restaurant here called Tamarind.  You can find it in the second big building on the left upstairs.  They have air conditioning, wifi and great food.

We do stop in at a few stores but we don’t end up buying anything.  After having moved across the country and getting rid of almost everything we own we really are in no rush to buy trinkets that will clutter up the house.

While returning to the gangway this man quickly jumps in front of us at the gangway and I am fine with that, they must really want to get on. But when he shows his cruise card to security it appears that he is actually at the wrong ship – he is on the Carnival Fascination.  I always wondered if people got ships mixed up but had never seen it.  Both hulls are white but that is where it stops.

I actually sailed on the Fascination a long long time ago.  I think it was my second cruise, my first being on the Carnival Ecstasy.  It was an amazing ship back then.  Big cabins from what I remember.  Today it looks old and sad.  Very few balcony cabins – only suites have balconies, and those suites look like rust buckets from the pier, they should at least paint.

Back on board I head up to the top deck to get something at the Cups and Cones shop.  I never did get anything here on the Caribbean and wanted to try it out on this ship.  I ask for a Mexican Chocolate milkshake but they said they don’t have it.  So I opt for a Espresso Mocha Milkshake. Cost is $4 or add a shot of liqueur for a dollar more.  I did not add the booze.  The drink was yummy and was the added boost I needed.

I was able to finish my Stanley Falkland Islands presentation.  Yeah – I have now completed all the presentations I had prepped for the trip.  12 done – 12 more to do!  

I finished up at 5:30 and we both shower and dress for dinner and evening activities.

Dinner is again in the dining room.  It doesn’t take us that long to eat – only 45 minutes.  It is quick because we are just two and we only get a starter (usually a soup or salad) and a main.  We don’t get dessert, coffees or teas, or added cocktails.  We do usually have wine.  

We grab the sparkling wine we have and take it to Vines to enjoy.  It is our time to reflect on the trip and we spend the next hour and a half discussing the past month.  The good and the bad, the fun, the boring, the highs and the lows.  

What is next – Christmas!  

This will be the very first time we both have Christmas off in the 28 years we have been together (except two times when we took vacation time).  And this time we are not working.  It was always the worst time of the year to drive a bus and I am not missing it at all.  

We discuss what we want for our first Christmas in Cape Breton and we both know we want it simple.  We never buy presents.  First we don’t need anything and second I would rather share experiences instead of things.  Third we don’t have any Christmas decorations anymore and don’t really want to spend tons of $$$ to replace either.  We agree we will get a small real tree and then add lights and then popcorn garland.  I can’t wait.  But hey if you want to send us an ornament go for it! 

It was a lovely evening and we are not wanting to go to bed just yet.

Tonight is the Love Boat Deck Party – yup this ship is still doing the Love Boat Deck Party.  I love this party but it is getting a bit old.  Heck it has been going on for almost four years now.  I did enjoy the Gold Party on the Caribbean and wondering if it is going fleet wide?

On the Crown they have the bad set up on the Sun deck port side.  The Sun deck is closed off except for the starboard side only but to get up here is hard as they have both stairs roped off – you have to go to the staircase forward or aft.  They need to do it here as they need the MUTS screen.  

It really is not busy – not sure why.  The demographics are perfect on board for it to be busy.  Not sure where everyone is?  We watch the dancers perform and then it seems to have lost steam and so have we.  

Back in the cabin we watch the Wake Show and we go to sleep.  Or at least Bernie sleeps I stay awake for a long time.  My mind is not wanting to shut off.


No comments:

Post a Comment