Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Antigua


We are docked early.  In fact when I woke up I thought we maybe had missed the port as I had not even woken up for the docking – a hard thing to miss when your cabin is on deck five but I did.  In fact I am loving this cabin on Plaza deck.  Very quiet, great location – close to my priorities.  International CafĂ© and Vines!

I end up turning on the tv to the bridge cam to see if in fact we did dock.  Yup we are docked and it looks a little overcast.  Ends up it is the “normal” Caribbean weather.  

Humid, hot, with a chance of showers.  Which we did encounter a few times while here but they quickly pass and then it gets even more humid.

Bernie and I agree to just wait a bit to get off.  There are four ships in port and we know it is going to be busy.  We are not in any rush and we don’t have much planned.

Upstairs in the Horizon Court we grab some oatmeal and some fruit – boy I am going to miss all this great fruit.

For some reason the Horizon Court is off this cruise (or at least what we have noticed the first few days compared to the crossing).  Last night we dined here and plates were rarely cleared and sat at the table beside us for a good half hour.  We also had to get our own beverages as there really was just not much staff.  I find this can happen when it is quieter.  When it is busy staff are buzzing around and there are more of them.  Tonight it is just not happening.  

Also it is Mongolian stir fry night (which we love).  You pick your veggies, your meat, your sauce and they stir fry it for you and come and deliver it to you.  Our friend we are sitting with made up a bowl with just chicken and veggies and the plate she got back had beef, shrimp and no chicken at all.  Obviously she got the wrong plate but this does concern me, especially if you have allergies.  I got what I ordered but I had not Teriyaki sauce at all for which I had asked for.  It was good though.

Okay back to today.  You can feel the excitement in the crew because this is the first port that some of them are going to be able to get off at since leaving Ponta Delgada in the Azores 11 days ago.  No one got shore leave in Fort Lauderdale.

We stroll off around noon and my main purposed today was to check out some things for my port lecture for Antigua.  I need some current pictures of the Cathedral as the last time we were here it was closed.  I also am determined to get the taxi prices to the major sites.  It is hard here, the taxi drivers are reluctant to provide it normally.  But I find a nice taxi driver who helps me with all the details.  

Right away we spot Amel and Sidney enjoying their time ashore.  They sure earned it.  We share a drink with them and then we are off.


I manage to get all the pictures and information that I was needing and I am heading back to the ship.  Bernie stays out and wanders around some more.  He ended up grabbing a meal from a local vendor close to the market and crossed the street to the store and bought two local beers and sat on the step and enjoyed his jerk chicken and his beer.  He chatted with a local guy for a while and then slowly made his way back on board.  Meghan he was thinking of you!

I should let you know that I too got that cold that was going around on the crossing.  Heck it was at home, it was on the plane, it was in London, it was in Rome and it of course made it onto the ship.  I tried really hard to not get it by washing my hands all the time but heck Bernie got it so it was inevitable that I too got it.  It is not a bad one, in fact Bernie said he really suffered from it for only 3 or 4 days.  I started feeling bad on turn around day and today I am feeling better but I feel drained and enjoy some quiet time in the cabin to just rest.  Thankfully neither of us had it go into our chest.  No worries I am feeling almost 100% again.

We got our invite to the Most Travelled Guest Party.  It will be held in Adagios on St. Thomas day – which is also a formal night.  We will not be dressing formal as we don’t have formal wear but we will look as good as we can.  I am sorry I don’t know what the cut off is.

Tonight our goal is to go to the dining room.  We first start with wine in Vines and catch up with Amel and Sidney and hear about their time in port.  

We head to Da Vinci for 7:15 and are sat at a nice table for two.  I ordered a bottle of wine (our wine package is finished) and our server pours our wine.  Later he comes over to apologize as he assistant poured a glass of wine to another table from our bottle.  He says he will bring us both of glass of wine from the bar to compensate.  I notice that not much is gone and say only one glass will be needed and thank him for being honest.  Mistakes happen, it is how you handle them that makes the difference and Joaquin handled it very well.

Blame it on the Boogie is performing tonight in the Princess Theater and I would love to go, but they moved up the show times and the late show is at 9:15 and that is just way too early for us so we pass.

We do attend the 70s music trivia and faired quite well but no where near wining.


Back to Vines for a nightcap and we are really enjoying the time we are getting to spend with Amel and Sidney.  We first met Amel on the Royal at the beginning of the year.  

This trip we are able to really cement the friendship and we are honoured to call him friend.  Sidney we have know from before too – the Grand but we really only got to know him on board now.  A great guy and he is so great with the crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment