Sunday, November 18, 2018

First Sea Day





I woke up at 6 am – 9 hours sleep!  I really did need it.

I shower and dress and we agree to head to the dining room for breakfast.  I know you are all shocked, two days in a row!  Bernie loved it – he got his oatmeal and I was excited to see the fruit plate with the ricotta cheese was available. 

Eduardo is walking around again selling his mimosas – even though we opt out of getting one, he always makes us smile.

Before I left the cabin I grabbed my laptop and paper work and I was ready to do some work.  We selected a spot in the Wheelhouse and for the next two hours I worked away.  I did break to do the speedy sudoku and to grab a latte.  

Around 11 am I was back in the cabin where I can work without distractions and really focus.

At 12:30 we put on the bathing suits and slathered the 50 spf sunscreen and went up to the pool decks.  Wow what a different cruise.  We know we are in the Caribbean.  Icon is playing tropical sounds and the pool is packed with people soaking up the rays.

Bernie joins a long queue for some tacos at the Salty Dog grill while I wait and chat with a lovely couple.

We booked the Sanctuary for today and tomorrow for the afternoon session ($20 per person). 

We arrive just after 1 pm and take the seats we have reserved.

Sadly this is where things started to go downhill. 

The steward asked us for water and delivered it to the table, but the condensation for the glass cause the water to pool on the table and our glass to hydro plane over it.  They don’t put down cocktail napkins on this ship (maybe because of their concern for them flying off into the water).  I asked for a napkin and the steward laid a cloth napkin on the table and this helped considerably.


I ordered a wonderful Blue Margarita (try it if you haven’t).  It too was delivered with no cocktail napkin so I had to put it down on a napkin on my side table. 

Not once did they come over to replenish our water (I finally gave up waiting after 2 hours and went and filled it up myself.

My cocktail glass stayed on the table beside me empty from the moment I finished until when we left at 4 pm (2.5 hours).

sat like this for hours

I got up to go to the pool and noticed something sharp under my foot.  Some shattered glass was embedded in the astro turf.  I picked up two pieces that I could find and delivered to the supervisor as I did not know what else to do with it.  He took it and never did come check to see about the situation.  I later found more but figured I should deal with it myself.  I laid a pool town down on the ground to protect my feet.  A steward an hour later came by and tried to pick up and I told her why it was there and still no one came to try to remedy the initial issue.

Afternoon tea is a great perk up here.  But for some reason around 1:30 they came by and put out a side plate and said it was for the afternoon tea.  A half hour later they came by with cups and saucers and said it was for the tea.  Now tea is not served until 3 pm!  So not sure why we have to have plates, cups/saucers on our small tables for one and a half hours.

Tea service came by and unfortunately, we were at the end of the service so selection was minimal.  Plus we did not have any cutlery – maybe they should hand those out early too.  I had to go get them myself.



We left at 4 pm and our plates from tea, cups/saucers and our empty water glasses, plus my empty margarita glass were all still sitting there.

Yes the Sanctuary was busy.  They did have at least three Serenity Stewards working but doing what I am not sure. 
Sadly we have experience this lack of service in the Sanctuary before on other ships. But our experiences on the Royal have always been outstanding.  The staff from the Royal need to come on board the Crown and teach them how it is done.

Although I rarely complain I do want the ship to take notice when something is not up to their "normal" standards.  I will be sharing this information with the correct people on board in hopes of that the staff with get more help.

Bernie and I both agreed that we would cancel our chairs for tomorrow.  I am just glad I did not reserve for the whole cruise.

Back in the cabin now and our mini bar has been delivered.  There was a delay in delivery because of the crew going thru immigration. Also the entire dining team worked so hard yesterday to make sure the ship scored high marks in the Public Safety inspection.  Also I am sure they had to wait for new stock to arrive on board.  But today it arrived and we are good.

Tonight is a formal night and although we are not dressing up we will probably dress smart casual and dining in the buffet.

The production show Magic to Do is also happening and I love that show.  So right now our tentative plans are to see the show – but we will see what the future holds.


No comments:

Post a Comment