Friday, November 23, 2018

Martinique Afternoon and Evening

Sidney and Amel - Best bar staff on the Crown


I like Martinique.  It is not one of my favorite places, but I like it.  Probably because it is not all things touristy. You are not going to find all the fancy jewelry shops here, you are not going to find all the touristy bars and restaurants with their flights of beers, blaring music and staff going around with shots.

French is spoken here and many don’t speak English.  It doesn’t shine like some islands.  Like St. Thomas, Aruba, St. Kits.  It doesn’t have the fancy pier with the port with all the shops.

Instead it is a hub of activity.  The city is busy with just average folk doing their average day to day thing.  They don’t seek out the tourist dollar.  They are not begging you to come into their store, or to take a taxi, or to visit their restaurant.  Like it was the day prior in Antigua.

This afternoon as we walk up and down the streets of Martinique, we just enjoy the sights and sounds of the city.

The only people trying to get us in their store is the guy with his microphone outside their store telling everyone what the sales are, what is good today.  Sounds like a French rap and just like English I can catch a few words – chicken is on sale today.

I do check out a few stores – mainly clothing stores.  Why I ask myself!  It is hot and humid and my bra is wet and my shirt is sticking to me.  Do I really want to try on clothes like this – no not really.

There is a nice mall not from the ship and I swear I could live in here right now because of the air conditioning. 

We get a few small items that we are needing.  But the mall is busy with locals as well as tourists. Here you can find little bakeries selling all yummy French pastries (I pass), a bistro for a nice lunch, a grocery store, a pharmacy, a book store, clothing, shoe and so much more.

Our original goal was to have lunch ashore but like I had mentioned earlier I am trying to get over this cold and all I really want is a something small and to get some air conditioning. 

So we both agree to return to the ship. 

Once back on board we head up to the Lido and the queue for burgers (we want the tacos here) is so long, so we head to the Horizon Court.  Selection choice just are not grabbing us. So I grab a slice of pizza (unfortunately it was not the best pizza – normally I love their pizza on board). 

The Crown still has the old style Horizon Court (not the new one like the Caribbean that offers great flow with more stations and no pinch points). Selection here is minimal (boy I miss the Royal).  Yes there are still lots of option for something to eat.  But because we have been on now for 19 days we are getting rather bored with the limited choices.  We both agree that for longer trips of ten days or longer we need to stay away from this class of ships that have not improved their buffet.

I sit beside a family of four with two teenagers.  I could not help overhearing their conversation.  Mainly it was the parents talking trying to pull information out of the kids. 

The whole time I was there the two kids were on their phones.  Now I don’t have kids, but I wonder if they are having fun.  Doesn’t look like it.  I wonder “would Mom and Dad have had a better time if they came by themselves”. 



I will say there are a few kids on this cruise.  Certainly not what we would see on a 7 day cruise but there are quite a few teenagers and younger ones.  But I am very impressed with them.  Very polite, friendly, kind and respectful.

I will inject here that today was the day that Bernie hit the wall. It happens every cruise. That day when everything is getting to you – the people, the noise, the heat, the food, the ship…. You name it.   So he grabbed a quick bite and I insisted he head down to the cabin and just hang out there for the afternoon enjoying some peace and quiet and alone time. 

I went up to Adagio and started on my Falkland Island presentation.  I spent five hours working there and got half of it done.

Our evening was a pleasant one.  We started with drinks in Skywalkers – which is the Platinum Elite Lounge.  It was busy up here today.  There are not that many Elites on board but there are a lot of Platinum members. And many are travelling with friends and family and so they bring them to the lounge making it a busy. 

We stop by Crown Grill to see Elsa.  Elsa is the hostess and she is from Nicaragua.  Today she informed me that it was her birthday two days ago!  When she tells me her age I am shocked, she tells me she has a 20 year child and I again am shocked.  She looks like she is 24 herself. 

Today when we were ashore we picked up a pretty birthday card for her and I wanted to make sure she knew we wanted to wish her a happy birthday.  Note the next day she came over and hugged me again and said she loved the card and it is up on her wall in her cabin. 

It is about the connections you make on board not just the places you see.

The dining times have switched on this cruise to the earlier traditional dining times.  Which is not an issue for me as we do anytime.  However for some reason they have moved the times other events earlier too.  Production shows are earlier – heck the late show is 9:15!  Way too early for us.  They also moved the Platinum Elite Lounge hours from 4:30 to 6:30 again!  Why so darn early.  So we have not made it to the lounge much because it closes soon after or when we arrive. And we have not made one production show as it too is early. 

We had a nice meal in Da Vinci tonight and then we took part in the 70s music trivia and then of course we ended our night in Vines with our favorite bar staff – Amel and Sidney.



No comments:

Post a Comment