Friday, November 23, 2018

Barbados



Another early docking and I wake to the announcement that we are clear to go ashore.  Trust me you don’t want me to go ashore right now with the way I look. 

I shower and rush up to the Speedy Sudoku where I sit with Julie and try my hardest but don’t win.  Always fun to get the brain moving early in the am.

Oh I forgot to mention that the ship’s power went out while I was in the shower.  Now remember we are in an inside cabin and I am in the shower.  Complete blackness.  I shrug and say to myself “I don’t need light to know how to wash my hair” so I continue.  Bernie brings me my phone with the flashlight on so I at least can dry off.  A few minutes later the electricity is restored.

There are four large ships in port today and a small Club Med ship.  We are docked the furthest away.

We done our running shoes and we are off.   We usually walk to the port building as we find the bus just too confining and very hot, plus we are able to walk and we enjoy walking.

We spot both Amel and Sidney heading ashore.  This is Sidney’s first time in the Caribbean and Amel is making sure he sees it the right way.  They are off to the Boatyard.  Boatyard is a fun place – but not for us. Just too noisy, busy, and way too geared to the cruise passengers. 

Instead we are off to get information.  Barbados is one of the ports I have to lecture on and I want some up to date prices for taxis, entrance fees, maps, and pictures of some sites that either I have not been to or my pictures are lacking.

After four hours ashore I accomplish all this and again we are hot and sweaty.

I will add that one of our goals was to buy some spices.  There is a nice sales cart in the port building that sells spices/sauces/etc. But they wanted $5 US each for a package of Cinnamon sticks or a package of nutmeg. 

Instead we walked into town and into a grocery store where we bought – ground cinnamon, 2 packs of cinnamon sticks, 2 packs of nutmeg and the total price was just under $5 US.

We also wanted to eat ashore here and get a corn-n-oil drink. We knew the place we wanted to go too – Rollies just in Pelican Craft Strip Mall near the pier.

However when we arrived it was full and we grabbed a table that had just left.  We sat for 15 minutes without a single person attending to us and no menu.  We were starting to grow impatient – being hot and sweaty did not help either.  I asked if they had corn-n-oil drink (which they always use to have) and she looked at me all confused.  Well that was our sign to just leave.  It is sad when a place that has always held a special spot in our memories of Barbados is no longer special.  It has obviously changed hands and sadly I no longer can recommend it.

We therefore head back to the pier and I sit outside the terminal trying to get wifi.  But the signal is not good at all and Bernie is having no luck trying to buy beer at the small bar at the terminal so we give up again. 

Having five ships in port has made the terminal an absolute zoo.  So we once again head back on board and enjoy the comforts of the ship.

Neither of us wants to tackle the Horizon Court so we order two clubhouse sandwiches for the cabin.  When the lovely lady arrives with the food she warns us the fries are cold and tells us to call room service again and she will deliver new ones right away.  Yes they were cold and yes we called and ten minutes later we had hot fries.  She was great – and I bet she told them that the fries were cold but the chef probably said just deliver it.  Oh I remember waitering thru college and the chef did this type of thing often.  They don’t seem to care as they are one person removed from person eating the food and they don’t receive the criticism.   

Then as much as I should work on my Falklands Presentation the bed is calling. I am so tired.  Did not sleep well last night and I woke up early. 

So a quick two hour nap – interrupted by announcements looking for passengers, Captain coming on with his daily announcement, then shortly after announcing they are having some issues with the thrusters and it should be repaired so, then another announcement saying all is good. 

Okay, my nap was good but sporadic but I believe it did the job. 

At 5:45 we wake up fully and our Captain Circle Party is 6:30 tonight so we quickly shower and dress and we are walking out the cabin at 6:15!  Wow that was quick.


The party was nice and it gave me the chance to meet Joyce and Julie (who I met the day prior).  Julia has been on my facebook page for a while and she knows her stuff – so it is great to put a face to a name.

Dinner again was in Da Vinci.  Yes we have been dining in the dining room!  We just needed a change from the buffet choices, but we are both missing the buffet option – just wish it was the Royal’s buffet.

Today is also Thanksgiving and the ship is decorated beautifully.  Of course there is the large set up of all things harvest in the Atrium.  Decorations are up in all the bars and restaurants. 

It is not our Canadian Thanksgiving but it is nice to partake in the US Thanksgiving!

They had two trees set up in the Atrium with a basket of leaves and string that you could write what you are thankful for and add it to the tree.  I wrote out mine – I am very thankful for all the amazing crew on board.

So back to dinner.  Of course I had the turkey dinner and it was good, but sadly half my turkey serving was gristle and rubbery skin, also for some reason I am finding the food extra salty this trip.  Might be me.

After dinner we head down to Vines to catch up with the boys who share with us their fun day in Barbados while we sip our glass of wine.

At 9:15 is the Yes No Game Show.  I needed to redeem myself and I was chosen again tonight.  Emily got me last cruise I was determined to try and get her tonight.  And I am proud to say I survived the three minutes and got a prize (a wine stopper).

Around 10 pm we head up to the top deck to walk and it is a beautiful night.

It was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment