Wednesday, March 23, 2022

3 States and A Province


It amazes me that we travelled thru 3 states and a province today. States aren't big, or we travel through just a portion of it.  This is different for me.  Canada is the 2nd largest country and it can take days to cross a province, like Ontario.  Or at least a day, like Nova Scotia.  

It is fun to see the state signs.  And to see how far we have gone.

But let me backup.  We, correction, I did not sleep much.  I crashed early and 5.5 hours later I was awake.  For those of you who have followed me thru the years know I rarely sleep well the first few days into a trip.

This trip is even worse, as Bernie plots out each day and the route, I go looking for accommodations.  Then we also need to figure out where to eat, how far is it, gas stops, oh and washroom stops.  I am the more techie person so I usually am the one figuring these things out.  

Bernie can do it, but he gets frustrated and I end up doing it.  But we are both working on improving this.  As I write this he is searching for a hotel for tomorrow night.  I can hear the comments from him.  Not questions, he just says hmmm, what, weird.  I am listening to soothing music and trying to let him take care of it without butting in.  He will do great,  especially if I stay out of it and thinking I can do better (which is not true, but I like to think so).

Can you relate?  A relationship is always a constant moving, shifting, balance.  I call it a dance.  Sometimes he leads sometimes I lead, sometimes we step on each other's feet.  But in the end we are glad we danced, and we always come out better for dancing.  

Okay back to today.  Up at a crazy hour.  We shower and enjoy the complimentary breakfast.  We are on the road at 9 am.  

We make it to the border 45 minutes later.  Small crossing, only one agent.  We are so use to the very busy Peace Arch in Vancouver where you can wait in a long queue.  Today we were the only car.  Passed him our passports and had our vaccine proof in hand.  He just said "I see you're vaccinated".  Then "where are you off to?, where are you from, how long will you be gone, have you ever been arrested, do you have guns in the car, fruit, seeds, who is watching your house, what do you do for a living, (when we say retired) what job did you do.  He was very nice, friendly, and they ask all these questions to see if we are on the ball.  Obviously we were as he said have a nice trip.

A few hours later we stop into Bangor Maine at Target to get the Mint Sim card package.  It was so easy to put in the new Sim card (it must be an unlocked phone that is compatible).  Download the app, which I should of done prior, instead we have a coffee at Starbucks and use their wifi.  In the app I pick get a new number and voila it was all set.  So for $15 a month for 3 months, totally of $45 I have 4 Gb and calling and texting in the US.  I only need it for one month, but it is cheaper than adding data roaming/phoning to my Canadian cell.   

We stop and get lunch at a great Mexican restaurant called Palapas.  We can see right away the servings are huge, so we order one dish of enchiladas and split the 4 that come.  We couldn't finish the one dish even.  Even the pop was large!  We could of shared that too.  Servings are big here, we need to be conscious if thus when ordering.

Okay after an hour running around, and lunch we are back on the road.  Next state, a small bit of New Hampshire.  Then we are in Massachusetts!  Traffic is higher, but things move.

I see we are driving past the exit for Old Orchard Beach.  Oh what fond memories I have of driving here from Quebec with my Mom and sister for summer holidays.

Our hotel tonight is Holiday Inn in Sturbridge.  Great hotel, and our dinner is simple.  

I can gladly report that Bernie has successfully booked a hotel for tomorrow.  See we all knew if I let him, he would do great.

Fingers crossed I sleep tonight.  Oh and maybe I will dance with Bernie.

No comments:

Post a Comment