Friday, March 6, 2020

Santiago Flight - Cruise and Corona


Now I am no expert.  But I have flown a lot, and I have cruised a lot!  My career was working with the public and I came into contact with thousands a day.

I do not have a germ phobia.  I do like to clean my hands whenever I can and I am conscious of how clean places are.  But I don't freak out. I have never worn a mask or gloves to prevent getting germs.  But I have been known to disinfect surfaces the best I can with Clorox wipes, or soap and water (like the time I clean the air filter in the AC unit at a hotel).  I am not a huge fan of sanitizer gel but it will do when no washing station is nearby.  

With this virus hitting so many spots all over the world it has caused us to be more in tune with our upcoming trip.

We leave Saturday for Santiago where we will spend a week before joining a ship to head north to California.  

For the past week I have made every effort to stay away from as many people as I can.  Mainly because so many here in my hometown have colds and flu (tis the season).  So many are hacking away, sneezing and NOT washing their hands.  This has set the tone for me to stay healthy.

I did visit my family doctor this week for a prescription renewal. Like every visit she asked about our travel plans.  I informed her we were leaving soon and if she had any advice.  She said go and have fun, you are very healthy, oh and wash wash wash your hands.  

So as I pack our suitcases I have a big container of Clorox wipes (for what it is worth it says it cleans cold/flu virus).  I will have my water bottle, I have packed enough prescription medications to tie me over in case of delays in coming home.  

I will admit that keeping my hands away from my face is a tough one.  I use to bite my nails, but I stopped that a few years ago.  But I still pick at my cuticles and then what do I do.... I bite it.  I know it is a bad habit and it is one I am working hard to get over.  I always joke, it is my only bad habit and if I didn't have that habit I would be perfect.  Or almost perfect.  So I am trying all kind of techniques to stop that habit.

I am not really concerned about the cleanliness on the ship.  I know how hard they work to keep it clean.  Yes guests bring on colds/flu and whatever else from home.  But like at home I try to limit contact with those hacking away.

I am concerned about the 14 hours of air travel, and the 3 hour layover in Toronto.  I am not sure how clean those places are.  So I will wash my hands a lot.

I have not even considered the thought of cancelling.  I am healthy and the chance of getting the Corona virus is quite low.  Even if I did get it, I know because I am healthy I would recover from it just like I would if I had a cold/flu.

Everything is set at home. Our house sitter is here now and we have gone over everything.  Biggest thing - how to use the snowblower - yes we finally succumbed and bought a snowblower.  Our backs are thanking us.

We are excited to try out Celebrity and even more excited to present my lectures on board to the passengers who are taking a trip of a lifetime.  I have a job to do and nothing is going to stop me!

Note:  I will probably blog some while in Santiago but I will not be blogging once on board the ship.  I will be too busy with my lectures and assisting guests with their questions, oh and enjoying some time with my honey.





No comments:

Post a Comment