Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Princess Cays


We actually set the alarm clock!  We want a quick start this morning as we drop anchor early and we want to head off to the beach early.  

We wake when room service arrives. A simple healthy breakfast to tie us over until the hunger pains just start!  

They open the tenders and we are on board the first tender.

If you are elite or in a suite you get priority tendering.  You still need to enter the dining room on deck five but you are directed to the first tender leaving.

Tenders here are from shore side and they are large and hold well over a hundred people.  This is great in one way as you can move a lot of people but getting on and getting off is slow.  







By 9 am we are ashore and laying in a lounge chair in our favorite area in front of the Cabanas.

Can life get any better?  Here is my view above.




 Sand fleas are out.  Sitting under a palm tree and in the shade is not the best option as the fleas love these conditions.  I did bring some bug repellent and sprayed my chair and this did help.  But I did get bitten in two spots.  

Now before people start saying anything about the fleas do take note that Princess does spray all the time to help combat them.  But they are hard to control.  Every beach I have been to has them.  They are all over the Caribbean and Mexico.  

Sometimes it is worse than others, sometimes it is BAD and sometimes it is almost none existent. Of course they love my blood.

s
It helps to have bug spray and to stay away from trees and shaded area. 

We spend the next few hours sunning but boy it is hot.  The water is a nice respite from the heat. We both comment on how warm the water is like bath water.  A big difference from February where you have ease into the cool water.

Yes there are still lots of rocks here.  I find the best thing is to wade in on the sandy area then just swim out above the rocks and get deep enough that you can float.  Water shoes can certainly help but I hate wearing them personally.

I take my float ring that I always bring with me and just float around.

We did snorkel and Bernie commented that he thought the coral was doing quite well and had improved since the last time we were here in February.  Sadly some passengers don't understand the delicacy of the coral and stand on some causing them to break and die. 

It never really gets very busy ashore.

Demographics on board is slowly changing.  A lot fewer kids, less families.  Still more than what is normal for us.

Big news is that Ocean Medallion wifi works ashore here.  And it is strong and fast!

Take note that your ultimate drink package works ashore too so drink up.  However some bars have limited drinks.  Also if you have the soda package this does not work ashore for soda as they have no gun dispenser for the soda.  




After three hours in the sun we are hot, salty, sticky from sunscreen and have had our share of the sun so we head back.  

Love the new covered tender waiting station.  Also love that the security stations are set up ashore saving you the issue of having to do that when you get back on board.

Of I forgot to mention Bernie is still having problems with his card.  Or I should say Princess is having problems with his card.  He taps onto the Ocean Medallion and it comes up still with no picture.  So he has to go aside and give our cabin number.  It does work in the old hand held devices.  IT is on board and they take note.  This is an issue, but more for us because we are in transit.

Back on board we shower and feel totally new.  Talk about coming back new!

We head up to the Worldfresh Marketplace for lunch.  I am so in love with the buffet here.  So many great options.  I am still waiting for signs identifying what the food items but that is coming we have been told.  They are still working on improving the entire experience.

While up here Deb (another passenger) introduces herself and her spouse.  She reads my blog and I love chatting with them and getting their perspective.  Although I love to cruise and write about it, my perspective is, well -- my perspective.  So to hear and see the same cruise, port stop, event, meal from someone else is very informative.  I love Deb's blog.  You can follow her here, she too is blogging live and I believe in supporting each other and she does a great job.



I want to attend the Detourist session this afternoon which is all about photography and how to use some new tips to improve your experience when travelling with your camera.

Jase leads it and the Platinum Studio artist is also here and he gives some great tips.  I am already putting the tips into action with my pictures.  I often quickly take pictures as I am going by but I am going to try and focus and go slower and really work at capturing what I want to communicate.

The entire session is not very long and easy to attend and informative.

Check out these screens in Club Fusion where you can be the DJ and control what is being played.  I need to try it out one time.



Tonight we head to Skywalkers for the Platinum Elite lounge.  We are shocked when we enter around 5:30 as it is really busy.  What happened to the ship?  The last two sailings you could throw a rock and maybe hit one person, today it is hard to find a seat.

This is a representation of how the demographics have changed.  There are a lot more Platinum/Elite guests.

The chefs are busy replenishing the food station (which is serving prawns with cocktail sauce) and plates and cutlery.  I don't think they had to do that even once last two weeks.

The staff are running around taking drink orders.  Many passengers are annoyed as it is taking too long (according to them) to get their drinks.  Yes is taking longer than normal but hey we are on vacation.  We spot a couple get very frustrated that a table has not been cleared.  It is sad when people act like this.  

We notice that some buffet stewards are up here and more bar staff soon to help with the crowds.  I am very impressed how this ship notices and implements when there is an issue. A sign of good leadership.

One thing we don't care for is the cheese.  Since we got on the cheese seems to be tasteless and a weird texture.  The cheddar, jalapeno jack cheese and the havartti (now I hope that is the names but don't quote me) are really off putting.  The cheddar taste like a processed cheese.  Yuck.  So we have pretty much stayed away from the food station except for veggies and olives.  

Neither of us is really hungry. We had a late lunch and Bernie really just wants to go to watch a movie.  So we divide and I wander down to Vines and order a glass (or two) of wine and some sushi.  I then get some Greek salad from the International Cafe and that ties me over.

I enjoy spending time there and chatting with others and Dominique and Jonathan.  I am going to miss these two next week.

I wanted to add that we traded this weeks mini bar for two coffee cards.  The coffee cards are now electronic and applied to your cards.  It was applied very quickly after calling.  The charge did show up on our account but it was removed later - which is normal.  The cards expire now at the end of the cruise - which is disappointing as there is no way we could drink 30 coffees in 7 days.  Well we could but we would have to harness that energy somehow!  It is also a pain because you don't know how many coffee drinks you have left.  But since we traded in our mini bar we can't really complain.

A new party band has joined the ship.  Tempo is now on board and we really like them and have sailed with them before.

Ocean Medallion update. Seems a lot of people have the Medallion around their neck.  Lido and Riviera decks have the medallions.

Now when you order drinks at the coffee bar you tap your card on the ocean medallion station.  The light ring changes from blue to green.  However when you order drinks from bar staff they still either take your card and tap or they take your folio number and charge it that way.

We got our Most Travelled Guest Invitation also.  Not sure where we fall.  To tell you the truth I rarely check at where we fall as I don't really care but if I get to chat with Faye and she is at her desk I will ask.  We are just happy to be included.  The party will take place the night of Saint Maarten.  



No comments:

Post a Comment