Saturday, January 18, 2020

Airbnb Booking Tips



As many of you know I am a huge fan of Airbnb.  I do have certain criteria when booking an Airbnb.  We have been searching Airbnb for a few vacations and booked a nice place for our stay in Santiago, Chile.

If you have never used Airbnb, first off just go to their site and register.  If you use this link you can register and you will save a bit of money the first time you do book.


  • I start with putting in my dates and then selecting what filters I need.  For us, an entire until is the only thing we book (note you can book a room in someone's home, but that is not for us). 
  • We then request certain criteria (often varies depending on vacation), wifi, washing machine (especially if there for a while), parking and for this trip we needed self check in.
  • I then start going through all the properties. Usually by glancing at pictures I can quickly weed out some.  If the pictures look like the place is not clean, trust me it won't be better once you get there.  I also look for inviting shots.  If a good host doesn't take the time to make the scene inviting and hospitable chances are they won't be any different in person.



  • I also check the location.  I am not a huge fan of being right in the middle of all the action.  I am not 25 anymore.  I enjoy being close to sites, restaurants, bars, shops but I don't want to be on top of them.  For Santiago we really wanted to be close to a Metro stop (they have amazing Public Transit).  
  • Read the reviews, but take the worst and best with a grain of salt.  Instead take an overview and if mainly positive then it is good.  I always look for things that say what is nearby and how far to certain areas, like downtown.  Also looking for comments about noise levels around the place.   To tell you the truth I do the same thing if booking a hotel as well.  It should be noted that only the people who actually booked and stayed there can write reviews. 
  • I also take a glance at the fees that will be incurred. Airbnb charges a fee (nominal) and then the host usually charges a cleaning fee.  If it is crazy I drop it.  I have found that if I need accommodations for two nights or less (although if fees are nominal I will book for a two night stay) it is better to go with a hotel.  Three or more nights it is often a much better deal to go with Airbnb.
  • If the location meets all my requirements I then save it to a folder on the Airbnb App for Santiago.  Then my honey can go through them and he either weeds more out or narrows it down more.  Once we discuss and both agree we book it.
  • A newer feature on the site is that you do not have to pay for the entire stay upfront.  Often you pay 50% and the remaining amount gets charged about two weeks prior.  Also most spots offer you a refund and if closer to the date of departure a nominal fee.  But always confirm these in the booking details prior.  (my booking offers 100% refund until night prior, then a charge for first night and service fee).

What is nice about Santiago is the places to stay are so inexpensive.  Here is a link to our apartment we are renting for a week and it is under $40 US a night!  Total cost for 8 nights is $475.



Our very long flight gets in at 9:30 am and check in was not until 3:00 pm.  So I contacted host prior to reserving to say we would pay for the night prior to our arrival so we can arrive and self check in once we arrive.

Even has a pool on the rooftop

Can some Airbnb not be a good - oh yeah I am sure.  But I have used the services about 15 times now and have to say only one spot was not to our liking at all.  And truly it might of just been an issue with us because so many others loved it and did not even comment about what we did not like.  Should be noted that we have stayed in a lot of hotels too and we have had our share of bad ones, and I mean really bad ones.  Sudbury comes to mind.  Read all about it here.  And we have had more than this one too.  My point is that Hotel/BnB or Airbnb you have bad ones, but a lot more good ones.

The only time I would never book an Airbnb is if I was travelling on my own.  As a woman I prefer the comfort and safety of a hotel.  

I am also looking at sports for our Copenhagen stay.  But something is different here.  I would say 95% of the spaces seem to be people's current home.  Like they rent it out and stay elsewhere.  All the pictures have just way too many personal items - pictures, toys, knickknacks.  I am use to renting places where it is used only for short term rentals.  Even though I have no real issue with staying at someone's home while they are away I just don't like it.

Of course Copenhagen is crazy expensive to stay, tour, eat and drink at.  So we thought staying in a cheaper spot and making at least our breakfast every day would be more economical.  

But I did search through another site booking.com and found that they had some short term rental apartments as well as hotels.  

Still have not booked anything but looking.  

 





No comments:

Post a Comment